T24 Day-PSAT 8 - October 10th
Why take the PSAT 8?
- The PSAT 8 helps students prepare for their future, by identifying areas where students excel, indicating students may want to consider advanced courses such as Advanced Placement (AP) for college credit. Additionally, it helps students identify areas in which they should focus on academic improvement to better prepare for college and career readiness.
- The PSAT 8 helps students gain access to colleges and college scholarships by preparing students for the SAT, an admissions test accepted by all U.S. colleges. Some scholarship programs use these results to identify scholarship candidates.
- After the test is scored, we will help students create College Board and Khan Academy accounts, so they can receive free, personalized study recommendations to help with academic growth.
What is the PSAT 8?
The PSAT 8 is part of a vertical suite of assessments that measure reading, writing, and math skills that have been identified as most important for college and career readiness. The reading and writing tests require students to interpret, and use information from a wide variety of sources and content areas. Students may be asked to identify text that supports their answer, edit passages, and provide evidence they have understood what they have read. The math test focuses on problem solving, data analysis, mastery of linear equations and some advance functions. Additionally, the PSAT asks questions based on real world contexts found in college and career pathways.
Test Length and Timing
- Reading - Time Allotted, 55 min., Number of Questions, 42.
- Writing and Language - Time Allotted, 30 min., Number of Questions, 40
- Math - Time Allotted, 60 min., Number of Questions, 38
The College Board also helps students plan for their career choices by providing free career roadmaps, information on college majors, and a variety of professions. PSAT 8 results are one way to help guide students towards success in their big, bright future.
How to Prepare for the PSAT 8.
- The best way to prepare for the PSAT 8 is to engage in classroom activities and practice skills over time.
- Please ensure your child gets plenty of sleep the night before the test.
- Students should answer every question to the best of their ability. They do not lose points for the wrong answer.
Practice exams and other preparation information are available on the college Board website.
Garry Middle School is committed to helping students reach their college and career goals.