- Exercise care in filling out the online application. We select the most experienced and qualified candidates based on pre-screening the information you submit. Therefore, please ensure you specifically indicate, and give excellent examples of your experience and qualifications as it relates to the posted position for which you're applying.
- A screening of application materials will be conducted by the Administrators and/or the Human Resources Department. Only complete application files will be screened. Applicants with incomplete files will not be considered for interviews.
- When applicable, assessments may be administered before or after a personal interview.
- Once you have submitted your application, you may go back to the application and make changes/deletions at any time.
- Some email filters will send district email correspondence directly to SPAM or junk folders. Once you have completed an application, periodically check these folders in your email to ensure you haven’t missed any correspondence. ( If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted via phone if we were unable to reach you via email.) You can also see if an email has been sent by reviewing the information in the “view application status” area of your online WorkSpace.
- If you have applied for a position and are not selected, you will receive an email when the position is filled.
Frequently Asked Questions:I am a retired employee but want to sub for the district. What do I need to do?
Do I need to complete a new application every time I want to apply for a job?
- CHANGE PHONE NUMBER: Log into your current application and click on the “contact information” area of your application.
- UPDATE MY APPLICATION: Log into the system and view all your application information in WORKSPACE. You can upload new letters of recommendation, resumes, certificates, transcripts, etc., in the “Manage Documents” area. To update work experience, click on your ONLINE APPLICATION and then click in the “work experience” area.
- APPLY FOR POSITIONS: There are two options. If you have a current application on file with us you can apply for positions directly from the posting. You will need to log-in on the posting screen and then click “apply for this position”. If you have not reviewed your application within the last six months, you will need to apply for postings by logging into your WORKSPACE and click on your application and select from the drop down menu of current positions in the “employment preferences” area of your application.
- ADD DOCUMENTS TO MY FILE: Upload documents in the WORKSPACE area when you have logged into the system. Go to “Manage Documents” and upload. You are also able to upload documents within your online application in the “supporting documents” area.
- APPLY WHEN I DON’T HAVE AN EMAIL ACCOUNT:
Because we communicate extensively via email, you must have access to an email account. Several programs may be utilized to create free email accounts such as Yahoo, MSN, Google to name a few.
- FIND OUT THE CLOSING DATE OF A JOB I APPLIED FOR: Check out our online postings. The closing date is listed in the top of the posting. PRINT a copy of the posting for your records so you will have it in the event you are called for an interview.
What if I am unable to upload the resume and letters of recommendation?
Bring the documents to the HR Department, and we will scan them in for you. These requests will be processed as quickly as possible, in the order they are received. In order to complete your file in a timely manner, you should submit these documents as soon as possible.
My supervisor is not allowed to write a letter (per company policy).
You may submit your last employee performance evaluation. Many employers are willing to write a “personal” letter of reference that speaks to your work history, not on company letterhead, which is an acceptable alternative.
What information is on a resume?
Name, contact information, education, detailed work history. It may also include any volunteer experience (Scouts, Camp Fire, church, community organizations, classrooms, for example). Sample resumes may be accessed via the internet. Click here to view sample resume.
- To access resume templates on Microsoft Word, click on “File, New…, New from template, Professional resume.
I'm unable to submit letters of recommendation and/or resume by the closing date. Can I still apply?
No. Your application must be complete with all application requirements by the closing date/time of the posting.
I have applied for several positions and have not been interviewed. Why?
The district receives numerous applications for each vacant position, and we interview the most qualified applicants. Check your application to make sure you have updated your experience, resume and have current letters of recommendation.
What qualifications do I need to work in the Spokane Public Schools?
Each position posting has a list of preferred and/or required qualifications to be eligible for that specific position. Be sure to review all the qualifications listed per opening. Student teachers may apply when they have met the qualifications listed on the position posting and they are eligible to apply for and receive the Washington State teaching certificate.
What if I do not have a current State certificate?
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon your holding a valid Washington State Certificate prior to your contract beginning. Plan ahead. The certification process may take as long as 2 – 3 months.
You may apply for a certificate through the state certification office at: Office of State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Professional Certification Office, Old Capitol Building FG-11, Olympia, WA 98504, http://www.k12.wa.us/Certification or Educational Service District 101, 4202 South Regal, Spokane WA 99201, http://www.esd101.net/ or 509-789-3502.
If I apply for a position and similar position is posted later, will I automatically be considered for that second position?
No. You must associate your online application to each position in which you wish to be considered.
No. Once you have submitted this information it will stay in your file for any job that you apply for in the future. Documents you have uploaded can be managed through the WORKSPACE area of your on-line application. You can review items submitted previously and determine if you want to “show” or “hide” those documents from view of the screening teams. This allows you to manage your documents so the most current is what shows.
To be considered for regular positions OR long-term substitute assignments, you must be considered Highly Qualified by the Federal NCLB (No Child Left Behind) Act.
The requirements to be Highly Qualified as an Instructional Assistant can be met through the following means:
· 72 quarter or 48 semester credits of college course work, AA degree, BA degree or MA degree OR
· Successful completion of the ETS Para Pro Assessment. The fee for the exam is $50 and can be scheduled through the Human Resources department by calling 354-7265.
If you have met one of the above requirements and have not already submitted the documentation with your applicant file, please do so as soon as possible. You can submit documents directly to the Human Resources applicant desk and they can be scanned into your on-line application.
If I have questions about equal employment opportunity policies, whom do I contact?
Ramon Alvarez, Manager HR Hiring, Support and Conciliation via contact info on the "Staff" page link to the left.
Do I need to be a citizen of the United States?
We will hire United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States in accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (Title 8, US Code, Section 1.324A). All new employees are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9), issued by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service, which requires documentation to establish this eligibility.
If your retirement from Spokane Schools was within the last two years, complete the “Retiree” application and submit letter of recommendation from your most recent supervisor.
No. Login as an existing applicant and update your application with the job you are interested in.
We would be happy to send you a copy. Email HR jobs with the posting number (you can obtain this from information in your application WorkSpace) and we can send it to you as an attachment. Please allow a minimum of two days for us to respond.